Dayton Audio KAB-230v3 2x30W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0
The extremely versatile Dayton Audio KAB-230v3 Bluetooth Amplifier Board allows for quick and easy addition of audio to any project, speaker build, point of purchase display, kiosk, or any location where audio enhances the experience. With an output of 2 x 30 watts, there is more than enough power to drive stereo speakers, yet the board is small enough to integrate into nearly any project.
- Efficient 2 x 30 watts of power from the Texas Instruments TPA3118 amp chip
- Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX built directly into board -- no need for a separate module
- New for v3 is a U.FL IPX coaxial connector for internal or external Bluetooth antenna (internal antenna included) and a Bluetooth pairing reset switch
- Board includes power and speaker output cables
- Wire harnesses make installation quick and simple with no soldering required
- Separate ports for powering by battery or direct DC input from a power adapter
- 5-year Dayton Audio warranty
- Optional accessories expand functionality and more
Dayton Audio KAB-230 2x30W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0
Tip: Take a look at the table in this blogpost to see which power supply to choose for this product.
High Quality Audio Performance
The Dayton Audio KAB-230 Bluetooth Amplifier Board delivers high quality sound without drawing a lot power. This is due to the highly efficient Texas Instruments TPA3118 Class-D amplifier chip. The TI TPA3118 operates at 90% efficiency, thus eliminating the need for a heat sink and reducing its overall size. Its high efficiency becomes a major advantage when powering from batteries as it prolongs the playtime of a single charge. Its ultra-low distortion and pop-free performance make this hi-fi amplifier board an integral asset in any quality audio build.
Unlike other amplifier boards, the Dayton Audio KAB-230 includes a built-in Bluetooth 4.0 module with aptX. The advantage of Bluetooth 4.0 is its low power consumption which prolongs the playtime of battery powered builds. The streaming audio quality rivals that of CDs thanks to the addition of the aptX codec by CSR. Designed and built for Bluetooth demonstration purposes, this fully functioning module provides a turn-key approach to Bluetooth certification for consumer goods. If the application of this board is for the hobbyist or industrial purposes then nothing is required to enjoy the full convenience of pairing and streaming high quality Bluetooth audio. The KAB-230 is also CE and FCC ready for certification purposes.
Included with the KAB-230 are two wire harnesses: one for DC power and the other for connecting to stereo speakers. For many users, these cables are all that is needed to complete a project. Since they have Molex Mini Fit Jr connectors to speed-up installation and create confident a connection, there is no need to solder or troubleshoot loose and unstable contacts. Dayton Audio also offers a variety of accessories with robust features to make installation even easier. Find out more about optional accessories below.
Due to the overall audio performance and built-in Bluetooth, this amp board has almost endless application possibilities. From hobbyists and DIYers to manufacturers and installation organizations this Bluetooth amp board has immense flexibility. For orders greater than 100 units, custom OEM Bluetooth pairing names are available -- email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Even if you bypass the Bluetooth feature, this amplifier board integrates easily into any job because of its array of included and optional wiring harnesses. Examples of applications include:
Extreme Low Standby Power
The Dayton Audio KAB-230 will remain powered up to 7 days in standby mode even while Bluetooth is enabled. This standby time is approximately 4x longer than the competition due to the use of a high efficiency DC/DC converter which minimizes power consumption thanks to the employment of a micro controller as the PMU (Power Management Unit).
Multiple Power Paths
The Dayton Audio KAB-230 features numerous power options for creative, wireless sound projects. This flexibility eliminates limitations often caused by most other amp boards. Therefore, your design can be cord restricted or truly portable.
For portable applications, there is an optional function cable kit (KAB-FC) which permits the connection of rechargeable batteries to power the board. NiMH, lead acid, or NiCad batteries will recharge straight from the board using a 15 - 24 VDC, 1A power supply.
Use extreme caution because the Bluetooth amp board does not provide under/over charge protection and the connected power adapter cannot have an output greater than 30 watts. Eight AA alkaline batteries can also power this board, but do not connect the recharging feature for this type of use.
The best rechargeable battery option makes use a separate interconnect board from Dayton Audio (KAB-BE) which holds three 18650 Li-Ion batteries. This portable power source is highly recommended since this add-on battery holder board does provide under/over voltage protection. A 19 VDC, 1-5A power supply is your best choice for charging the expansion board.
- One Dayton Audio KAB-230 Bluetooth Amplifier Board
- One 2-conductor power cable 20"
- One 4-conductor speaker cable 20"
- Power output (w/ 19 VDC power supply): 2 x 30W @ 8 ohms
- SNR: 89.3 dB
- THD: 0.07% @ 8 ohms, 10W, 1K Hz
- Frequency response: 22 to 22,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- Impedance: 4-8 ohms
- Recommended power supply: 12 to 24 VDC, 4A
- Recommended recharging power supply (NiMH, lead acid, or NiCad) 15 to 24 VDC, 1A
- Recommended recharging power supply (Li-Ion) 19 VDC, (1-5)A
- Plate mounting holes center to center spacing: 3.32" x 2.4" (84 x 61 mm)
- Hole diameter: 0.14" (3.5 mm)
- Dimensions: 3.6" L x 2.7" W x 0.9" H