Build the ultimate subwoofer capable of moving over six liters of air with each stroke! Truly not for the faint of heart! CNC-machined subwoofer cabinet and the Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" subwoofer.
- 113 liters CNC-cut cabinet made of 18 mm MDF panels with a 36 mm thick front baffle
- 18" driver with over 2" of total cone travel to move up to 6 liters of air
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax | DIY Kit | Component and Cabinet
This particular cabinet is designed specifically for the Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax subwoofer, but works for any subwoofer with an overall diameter of 18-1/4" or less, and a cutout requirement of 16-3/4" or less. For optimum performance with the Ultimax 18" subwoofer, add four pounds of Acousta-Stuf polyfill for a Qtc of 0.707 and an f3 of 27 Hz. More info about the subwoofer can be found on the UM18-22 18" product page.
During the CNC manufacturing process, rabbets and dadoes are cut into the back panel for precise panel alignment. A unique two-piece brace adds superior rigidity without affecting the subwoofer's performance. Both side panels feature 18 mm rabbeted extensions with recesses to perfectly install the first piece of the two-part, double thick baffle. Plate amplifier installation is made easy by following the scribed interior guide with a jig saw and by modifying one of the braces.
The end result is a resonance-free, sealed subwoofer cabinet that is purpose-built to extract the best performance from Dayton Audio's 18" Ultimax subwoofer. All that's left to do is finish it to match your décor or paint it to stand out. When your friends ask about it, you get the pleasure of saying, "I built it myself!"
Note: Here is a list of what you need to build this subwoofer-cabinet bundle that's not included and where to find it on our webshop:
Passive: When building passive, the kit requires a low passfiltered signal.
Needed for both:
- Mounting holes (# and size in mm): 8 x 7,0 mm Ø
- Panel thickness: 18 mm
- Front baffle thickness: 36 mm
- Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
- Finished net cabinet volume (subtracting the double-thick baffle, bracing, and woofer volume): 113 L
- External dimensions: 584 x 508 x 527 mm
- Subwoofer recess: 12.7 mm
- Weight: 28.1 Kg