Dayton Audio’s RSS390HE-22 15" Reference Series high excursion dual voice coil subwoofer sets a new standard for controlled bass response from small enclosures. With a rigid aluminum cone, large copper shorting ring, and thick aluminum sleeve the RSS390HE-22 delivers ultra-low distortion. A 3” voice coil, massive motor assembly, and 27 mm Xmax gives it the capability to produce remarkable output levels. This massive 15” is perfect for anyone looking for maximum low frequency response, earth shaking impact, and incredibly clean output.
- Designed for maximum excursion and extended low frequency response
- Copper ring and thick aluminum sleeve minimize inductance to deliver ultra-low distortion
- Large 3” diameter voice coil is wound on a spiral cut aluminum former allowing high power handling
- Thick aluminum cone and dustcap improves heat dissipation to keep power compression under control
- Optimized venting for maximum airflow across the voice coil with extremely quiet operation
- Dual spiders and high roll surround reduce rocking modes during high displacement
- Dual 2 ohm voice coils give you the ability to get maximum power out of most amplifiers
Dayton Audio RSS390HE-22 15" Reference Series High Excursion Subwoofer 2+2 ohm
The RSS390HE-22 15" Reference Series high excursion subwoofer from Dayton Audio will generate incredible bass response with unparalleled detail, control, and SPL capability. Engineered for maximum linear displacement with extensive inductance control, this massive subwoofer produces unmatched low frequency extension and high output with the lowest possible distortion. Optimized for small enclosures and with dual 2-ohm voice coils, the RSS390HE-22 is flexible enough to add breath taking bass to high output home and car audio designs.
Remarkably powerful low distortion motor
In order to keep precise control of the cone when driven to high excursion, the RSS390HE-22 requires an incredibly powerful motor. A stack of 3 high energy Y-35 ferrite magnets is used to provide the force needed while allowing ample clearance for the voice coil to travel without impacting the back plate. A copper ring and thick aluminum sleeve helps minimize stored energy and lower inductance as the coil travels through the motor. This massive motor assembly gives the RSS390HE-22 the ability to produce extremely low distortion and accurate response even when driven to the limits of its 54 mm peak-to-peak excursion.
Amazing power handling with low power compression
Driving the cone is a large 3” diameter voice coil wound on a thick aluminum former that is capable of dissipating enough heat to handle up to 800 watts RMS. A spiral spit in the former minimizes the eddy currents that are induced into any conductive former, to further lower inductance and distortion. The venting through the voice coil former and pole piece delivers ample airflow across the coil while minimizing turbulence to allow quiet operation when pushed to high displacement. In addition, the copper ring and aluminum sleeve improve heat transfer to the pole piece and magnet assembly, more efficiently absorbing heat away from the coil. All of this gives the RSS390HE-22 the ability to reliably handle tons of power without suffering from significant power compression, even when pushed hard for extended periods.
Optimized suspension for maximum linear stroke
In order to accommodate the 27 mm Xmax, the RSS390HE-22 required flexible suspension that permits linear movement to keep the voice coil centered even when driven beyond the limits of excursion. A custom tooled high roll surround maintains surface area and allows an incredible amount of travel without tightening up or distorting. Dual progressive spiders with integrated tinsel leads support the cone and voice coil. The spiders are optimized to begin restricting movement just as the driver reaches Xmax to protect from catastrophic damage in the event of excessive dynamic peaks. In addition, the spiders have significant space between them to keep the coil centered in the tight magnetic gap. Every aspect of the suspension on the RSS390HE-22 has been designed to reliably deliver extreme excursion capability without adding significant distortion.
Aluminum cone and dustcap… a Reference series tradition
To visually fit in with the rest of the popular Reference Series Subwoofers, the RSS390HE-22 uses a rigid anodized aluminum cone and dustcap. The cone is significantly thicker to withstand the force that will be applied with such a powerful motor and to increase mass for a low Fs. Thanks to the rigidity and natural damping properties of aluminum, any cone breakup is pushed well outside of the pass band giving the RSS390HE-22 exceptionally flat response, even throughout the mid-bass and lower midrange frequencies. In addition, aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, turning the entire cone and dustcap assembly into a large heatsink that effectively wicks heat away from the voice coil to further control power compression.
Incredible flexibility to add powerful bass to any system
The specs of the RSS390HE-22 have been balanced to operate in a variety of situations. Extended low frequency extension makes it ideal for subwoofer use in home audio and theater systems. With extremely small enclosure requirements, the RSS390HE-22 is also an excellent choice for use in high output car audio designs. Also, dual 2-ohm voice coils allow for stereo 2-ohm or mono 1-ohm wiring configurations when connecting to high current car audio and professional audio amplifiers to extract maximum power. For home audio applications, simply wire the voice coils in series for a more common 4-ohm load for greater amplifier compatibility. All of the Reference Series HE drivers are built to provide amazing low frequency response with unbelievable power, impact, and detail.
Car audio recommended alignments:
• Sealed (maximum sound quality): 1.33 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver) for an f3 of 47 Hz with a Qtc of .80
• Passive radiator (sound quality with extended low frequency extension): 2.75 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver and passive), using the RSS460-PR 18” passive radiator with all 8 disks of added mass, for an f3 of 26 Hz
• Vented (low frequency extension): 3.8 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver and ports) tuned to 25 Hz, with 2 x 4” diameter x 34” long flared vents, for an f3 of 24 Hz
• Vented (maximum SPL): 4.92 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver and ports) tuned to 40 Hz, with 2 x 5” diameter x 18” long flared vents, for an f3 of 32 Hz with a +6 dB peak at 43 Hz
Home theater/stereo recommended alignments:
• Sealed (home theater/music): 1.9 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver) for an f3 of 45 Hz, f10 of 26 Hz with a Qtc of 0.707
• Vented (home theater/music): 5.6 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver and ports) tuned to 22 Hz, with a 2 x 4” diameter x 30” long flared vent, for an f3 of 22 Hz (may have port chuffing at high output)
• Passive radiator: 4.5 cubic ft. (gross internal, including driver and passive), using the RSS460-PR 18” passive radiator with all 8 disks of added mass, for an f3 of 21 Hz
• Infinite Baffle: Acceptable
Note: All specifications measured with the voice coils wired in series.